Wednesday 3 June 2015

Mexican Rice



Growing up in the UK, I was not exposed to Spanish or Mexican cuisine till I got married and spent a few years in Texas with my husband. All my Mexican dishes are courtesy of our neighbors back there who used to invite us home every so often. Even after we settled in the UAE, I have never forgotten the flavor and aroma of those dishes. Now each time I cook Mexican Rice or whip up a guacamole, I remember my old neighbors fondly.


My Mexican rice is well loved by family. My children say they never know what they will find in it, since I tend to throw in things that I have in my fridge. So it is like new dish each time. I pair my Mexican rice with fajitas or enchiladas; and they are just delicious.

Here is my recipe for Mexican Rice



Ingredients

·           2 tbsp Olive oil
·           2 cloves of garlic, crushed
·           ½ cup onion, diced
·           1½ cup long grain rice
·           1 can tomato purée
·           1½ cup broth, chicken or vegetable
·           1 cup tender corn kernels
·           ½ cup diced carrots
·           ½ cup fresh or frozen peas
·           ½ cup cooked chicken, shredded
·           ¼ tsp chili powder
·           ½ tsp cumin powder
·           Chopped cilantro to garnish
·           Salt and pepper to taste


 Method

Heat olive oil in a large, thick-bottomed pan. Add garlic and onion and sauté till onions become transparent. Add the rice and stir it in till it becomes toast, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in the tomato purée and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the chili powder and cumin powder and mix well. Now add the cooked chicken, corn, carrots, and peas. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce and simmer till rice is cooked and fluffy. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.


Simple and absolutely yummy!




No comments:

Post a Comment